We are are set to reopen all four of our Household Waste Recycling Centres on Monday (11 May), following new government guidelines.
The sites will be open during the usual times of 9am – 5pm, 7 days a week for Central Bedfordshire residents only. This is for essential visits only for waste that would cause a risk to health and safety to store at home.
To help manage this, residents will be required to book a half-hour slot in advance to access the tidy tip. Residents can do this on the council website or by calling our customer services team on 0300 300 8302.
As with many public spaces like supermarkets, social distancing will need to be observed and that means the number of visitors using the centres will be limited at any one time and customers may need to queue to access the site. These measures are in place to protect residents and staff and must be followed by service users.
The sites will operate on a ‘one in, one out’ basis. Once in the facility you will be asked to follow identified pathways and queue, at a safe distance, to access each waste container.
Only cars, 4x4s small vans (e.g. Combo van) and cars with trailers will be permitted on site. This is to ensure that unloading times are reduced as far as possible to allow the maximum number of visits per hour.
The sites will accept the usual materials, but this may be subject to change. Residents are advised to have a maximum of two adults per car and to only bring loads that they can comfortably manage to handle by themselves.
Anyone who feels ill at home (whether diagnosed with COVID-19 or not) must not visit under the sites under any circumstances.
For your own and others safety only visit if your visit is essential. Please do your bit by:
- storing your items for disposal/reuse at a later date
- using your available kerbside waste and recycling service
- making use of the kerbside bulky waste service (charges apply)
- composting your garden waste at home
To keep turnaround times to a minimum please:
- sort your waste into bags/boxes before visiting the centres
- use your kerbside collection where possible
- minimise the number of visits you make
During this period, we ask you to:
- only bring waste that you can comfortably manage unloading by yourself as staff are unable to offer assistance
- allow enough time to queue and unload your vehicle before the centre closes at 5pm
- wear appropriate clothing and footwear
- wash your hands before and after visiting the centre. Wear gloves if possible
- keep children in the vehicle at all times
- follow instructions given by the staff regarding where to place your waste.