Images of Felixstowe

Local Government in your area:

Stotfold Town Council and Central Bedfordshire Council



What is a Town/Parish Council?
Town/Parish Councils make up the first tier of local government in England and are the layer of local government closest to the communities they represent.  There are some 8,500 Councils at Parish level in England.  As a tier of local government they are elected bodies, with discretionary powers and rights laid down by Parliament to represent their communities and provide services for them.

What can they do? What are the statutory powers and duties?
A list of Town/Parish Council powers can be found HERE (this is not an exhaustive list)

What is our Council responsible for?
The Town Council currently has responsibility for:

Hitchin Road Recreation Ground                                           Riverside Playing Field
The Green                                                                              Millennium Green
Stotfold Cemetery                                                                  Town Council owned street lighting
The Memorial Hall                                                                  The Simpson Centre
The Greenacre Centre                                                            Pix Brook Play Area

Public Conveniences and Car Park – Brook Street                Allotment Sites in the Town

How are these things managed?
Stotfold Town Council has 15 Councillors who have been elected by the local community, to work for the local community.  Contact details for individual Councillors can be found here.

The Council has 6 Committees who have separate responsibilities, as follows: (Terms of Reference for each Committee can be found on the Committee pages of this site)

As a consultee to Central Bedfordshire Council on planning applications relating to Stotfold.

Manages 196 streetlights, three recreation grounds, Play Areas, Millennium Green, Norton Road Allotments and the MUGA facility.

Maintains and manages Stotfold Cemetery.

Maintains and manages the Memorial Hall, Greenacre Centre and Simpson Centre, making them available for residents and organisations to hire.

Prepares Precept recommendation, staffing matters, Standing Orders, Financial Regulations, etc.

TOWN STRATEGY COMMITTEE (formerly Town Enhancement)
Prepares and considers proposals for long term strategic planning of Stotfold.

Also comments to the higher tier of Local Government, Central Bedfordshire Council, on matters such as education, long term planning for the town, etc.

The Town Council office is the place to raise matters such as defective streetlights, litter problems and highway issues i.e potholes.  Although not the direct responsibility of the Town Council, these issues can be forwarded to the relevant authorities for action.

If you feel strongly about any issues arising in the town, however large or small, the Town Council is happy to look into it for you.

With the help and support of local residents the Town Council will be able to ensure that Stotfold retains the community feel through the changes that will be seen in the next five to ten years.

How can I contact the Town Council offices?

Town Clerk:  Mrs Kate Elliott-Turner
Assistant Clerk:  Caroline Jenkins
Administration Assistant: (am)  Annette Dabner  (9.30am - 1.30pm)
Administration Assistant: (pm) Jeanette Everitt  (12.30pm - 4.30pm)
Finance Assistant : Jo Wang

Town Council Offices
The Greenacre Centre
Valerian Way
Stotfold, Hitchin
Herts, SG5 4HG

Tel: 01462 730064
Fax: 01462 834452

Office hours:
Monday - Friday , 10.00am - 4pm

Answermachine, fax and email operate outside of office hours

(Return to top)

Central Bedfordshire Council web link

Who is the second tier of local government in Bedfordshire?
In Bedfordshire the second tier of local government is Central Bedfordshire Council which, in April 2009, replaced the former Mid Beds District and Bedfordshire County Councils.

What are they responsible for?
Central Bedfordshire Council is responsible for:

Highways                                                                   Footpaths
Schools and Education                                             
Dog Warden                                                              Waste & Recycling Collections
Link to contact Details for Central Bedfordshire Councillors

How can I contact Central Bedfordshire Council?

Written correspondence can be sent to:

Central Bedfordshire Council
Priory House
Monks Walk
Chicksands, Shefford
Bedfordshire, SG17 5TQ

If you have internet access, their web address is, and they can be contacted by email on

The main contact number is 0300 300 8000
An A-Z of Central Bedfordshire Council department contact numbers can be found HERE

Return to top